top of page

Seven-Bullet Monday - August 22, 2022



Here is your Seven-Bullet Monday


1. A quote I am pondering:

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Viktor Frankl


We all wish we could go back in time and pull back words (spoken, text or email) we said or sent in anger or out of frustration, but it is too late. We snapped, we said or wrote things we shouldn’t have, and the damage has been done. So next time we’re in a pressure situation, and our patience has run out, we should take a few seconds, breathe deeply, choose our response, and deliver it in a pleasant tone.


2. A question I am asking myself:

What am I not seeing in this situation?


I tend to take things at face value, not read between the lines or hear what people are not saying. Being presumptive is one of my downfalls, and I need to consciously take the time to look beyond my immediate presumptions to make sure I am not missing something.

3. A book I am reading:

Giannis: The Improbable Rise of an NBA Champion


Many people will know Giannis Antetokounmpo (don’t ask me to pronounce his surname) as the Greek Freak, and an NBA MVP. Giannis was raised in Athens by Nigerian immigrants and overcame incredible odds to rise to stardom in basketball. This book is the heart-warming story of his upbringing, his long and difficult journey to the Milwaukee Bucks and how he has stayed grounded and humble as his fame has grown. It also opened my eyes to the incredible difficulties foreign immigrants face as they seek to escape the trauma of their homelands and rebuild their lives in a new country.


4. My favourite podcast this week:

The Game with Alex Hormozi: Ep411 – The Reason You’re Not Successful


Alex Hormozi is a marketing guru who wet his wings in the gym industry and is now sought after worldwide to help businesses grow their revenue. Marketing may not be your thing, but what I liked about this podcast is his Volume x Skill x Time formula. You need all three to succeed, whether in marketing or another discipline. The V, S and T are also multiplicative, so you start seeing the compound benefits once you are doing all of them diligently.


5. Hugh-Tips

How compound interest works in the stock market investments


Someone asked me this week how compounding works in stock market investments, so I thought it might be helpful to include my response in Hugh-Tips this week.


The US stock market has returned an average of 10% per year over the past 50 years. These returns have come from a combination of share price growth, dividends and, less frequently, share buybacks. For simplicity, let’s assume the share price has risen on average 7% a year and dividends paid have averaged 3% of the share price. Together this makes up the 10%, but to get the compounding benefit, you have to use the dividend to buy more shares in the company.


You do this through a DRIP (dividend reinvestment plan) that most stockbrokers and banks offer. You can usually sign up for a DRIP by clicking on a drop-down menu next to your investment in your online investing account. When you activate the DRIP, the cash dividends you receive from the company are reinvested to purchase more stock, making the investment in the company grow little by little. That way, you ensure you are always putting your cash to work as soon as you receive it in the form of dividends.


6. My highlight this last week

A Two-Day Golfing Getaway with my Daughter


Last week, Becky had a three-day golf camp in Pemberton. She asked me to come and join her on the weekend to get some dad-and-daughter golf time in Whistler and Pemberton. I could hardly say ‘No’, and we had a fabulous couple of days playing golf and even managed to squeeze in some paddle boarding. Becky’s golf has come on in leaps and bounds the last couple of months, and she threatens to beat me before too long. I’m up for the challenge, but I think it is only a matter of time now 😊.



7. My challenge to you for this week

Instead of tuning into your usual radio station or playlist, listen to some classical music


If you are one of the two-thirds who don’t listen to classical music, I encourage you to give it a go this week. Listening to classical music has many benefits, including relaxation, mental health and, yes, even lowering your blood pressure (if you listen to Beethoven’s ninth). I like to focus on the different instruments as they play, as this helps me appreciate how each instrument plays its part in the classical piece.


Have an energetic week




1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page